Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wherever you hang your hat...

My blog used to be called "wherever you hang your hat," after the phrase, "home is where you hang your hat." i liked that phrase because it always meant to me that home is wherever i decide it is, where i feel at home. A large part of what makes you feel at home is how you're welcomed there.

i haven't particularly felt welcome at Union outside of the cafeteria in a long time, but that's ok because i have a home off campus and the dog is always happy to see me... when i come home with my wife.

i went back to my folks' house last weekend and was warmly greeted by my sister, "what are you doing here?" Granted, it was a surprise and my parents hadn't informed her, but still. She coulda asked it whilst hugging me. ;-) When i walked into the room a few weeks ago where all the PBB alum had gathered, they didn't all know i was coming and i walked in to, "Yay! Brian!" and hugs and warm greetings. It was great. It felt a lot like home.

Today, i was sitting at my desk and the office assistant at the office here saw me and said, "what are you doing here?" There was confusion as to when my internship ended apparently. My chair had already been relocated.

Oh well. This week is less about returns though. It's about goodbyes. Ashley's supervisor since she started at Richmond Habitat is headed overseas to work, retiring from Habitat. One of the few administration members here that i am really tight with and truly admire and respect is leaving his position in admissions to take an Associate Pastor of Youth position in SC.


And one of my best and few really close friends, Victor, is heading home to Burma. Victor has been a dear friend for two years now. He is young and his wife and little girl have been apart ffrom him for the two years he's been studying here in the states. Victor has labored to give me cultural understanding of Burma and marriage and fatherhood and i've indoctrinated him with movies and culture and editted many of his papers. He heads home to start a school, and maybe some day soon, a teaching program for teachers. The military government there in Burma and the recent Typhoon have destroyed the educational infrastructure and Victor hopes to do his part to rebuild it and bring good news to those who need it most. He's a man i admire. He's a man i hope to be more like. And i will miss him.

1 comment:

Let It Be said...

im glad that we could make you feel as loved as you truly deserve;-)